EN CN
Connecting encoders (pwm) and mavlink (pixhawk) to SimpleBGC 32-bit
  • I have a 3-axis gimbal with encoders using pwm (AS5048A) and I have hooked it up to a Basecam SimpleBGC 32-bit. I have hooked up the encoders to FC_pitch, FC_roll and RC_pitch. Everything works fine as a standalone unit.

I am now about to connect a FC (pixhawk) to the gimbal controller using Mavlink. From my understanding there are two options for connecting it:

1: UART1 (serial port, using TX and RX pins)
    2: RC_serial -> RC_roll (TX) and RC_yaw (RX) - Have to enable it in configuration
    Is this correct or am I missing something?

I dont have it in front of me, but I think I am using the latest FW version with encoders enabled.

Regards Ronny
  • DO NOT BELIEVE YOU ARE CORRECT ! UART1 IS THE USB PORT! UART2 IS THE SERIAL PORT NOT ENABLED BY DEFAULT !
  • Thanks for your quick feedback :)
    You are right about eh UART1. My mistake :)

Is the correct way to connect the pixhawk to the simplebgc-32 to use the 2. option?
    RC_serial -> RC_roll (TX) and RC_yaw (RX) - Have to enable it in configuration?

I believe the standard simplegc-32 does not have a propper UART2 (RX only, on the AUX3 pin):

Below is also a copy from the manual

Regards Ronny

UART1 is the main serial-port, present in every SimpleBGC controller, and it is marked as [5V, Gnd, Rx, Tx]. The module's connection is described in the Appendix B.

UART_RC is an additional serial-port combined with RC_ROLL (Rx) and RC_YAW (Tx) RC-inputs (see Appendix B). To activate it choose a "RC_ROLL pin mode = SBGC Serial 2nd UART" mode in the RC tab and leave RC_ROLL and RC_YAW physical inputs free. See Appendix B for reference.

UART2is an additional port present only on some versions of the controller. It is absent on SimpleBGC32 “Regular” and SimpleBGC “Tiny”.