EN CN
Inverted gimbal system - possible?
  • I have a basecam tiny pro controller and three GB54-2 gimbal motors.
    I would like to use these parts to position my star wars full size BB-8 dome above the drive mechanism.

I'm having trouble getting the gimbals to stabilize the shaft that I will mount the magnets in the body.

Here is the CAD picture of my design - this drive system fits entirely within the approximately 20 inch diameter spherical body of BB8 and the dome (head) is held on with magnets mounted on the end of the shaft controlled by the YAW motor.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15o4_TdeoRRXdiWQaxwMOHFuwOuv9iH9H/view?usp=sharing

I have the tiny pro controller mounted to the frame inside the body.
    The pitch gimbal motor is mounted over the driveshaft and is bolted to the frame and drives the pitch gimbal (orange ring)
    Forward motion of the body is towards the upper right of the picture with the two clamps on the shaft connecting that end of the roll gimbal (gray half ring)
    The roll gimbal motor is bolted to the pitch gimbal behind the frame and drives the roll gimbal (gray half ring)
    The yaw gimbal motor is mounted at the top of the roll gimbal, and I have also mounted external IMU to a plate below the hollow aluminum shaft.

I have tried using the GUI and performing AUTO calibration on the three gimbal motors - but my question is - will the controller be able to stabilize the dome above the body - or does the steadycam design require the 'camera' weight hang down from the frame?

Thanks,
    Monty
  • what your trying to do is 100% possible but you have not specified something very important the spot of the camera IMU on the hoop that your stabilizing! you need to figure that out
  • and it needs to be balanced
  • Here is an updated CAD picture with the Dome IMU and the Frame IMU locations:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eph7JwNxspWi2F-mWs2znJT6gnZquC2N/view?usp=sharing

I don't have a camera to stabilize - I will be stabilizing the BB-8 dome (about 1.5 lbs). Here is a photo of me with my 3D printed BB-8.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ez4LRSr72y2mGRpvhjaL_su65pksAv8v/view?usp=sharing

The drive fits inside the ball - which rolls.
    The dome (head) floats on caster wheels above the body.
    There are magnets in the body and at the bottom of the dome that keep the dome on the body while it rolls.

The Dome IMU is attached to the Yaw drive shaft. I am configuring the controller to consider this the Camera IMU.

The controller IMU is being configured as the Frame IMU - as it is attached to the big aluminum block in the middle - above the 'green' speed controller for my body drive motors.

My question is: will the system work with the 'Camera' above the frame? Or does the system require the camera to be below the frame - taking advantage of gravity - instead of fighting gravity with the camera higher than the frame?

Thanks,
    Monty
  • yes will work with the 'Camera' above the frame , do not matter above or below same as turning gimbal upside down
  • "My question is: will the system work with the 'Camera' above the frame? Or does the system require the camera to be below the frame - taking advantage of gravity - instead of fighting gravity with the camera higher than the frame?"

It does not matter where the "camera" is but it needs to be reasonably well balanced.