EN RU CN
noob question about azimuth drift
  • I have no experience with gimbals, but I’m considering use in a scientific project. I would be using a gimbal-mounted camera atop a tripod on a 10 meter boat. Boat speeds would be 10-15 km/h, with constant heading and wave heights <0.5 meters. There would be no sharp accelerations, light vibration, and little temperature change. The gimbal would be used with “follow” mode disabled on all axes. That is, the camera would not pan, but (hopefully) only point constantly in the direction of the boat’s movement. <br />
    I believe that stability of the camera will be fine (that is, little error in azimuths from boat movements and vibration), but my important requirement is that the camera keep pointing accurately without the orientation “drifting” for an hour or more. Two or three degrees of drift in the horizontal azimuth would be allowable, but drift in pitch and roll azimuths must be <0.5 degrees. <br />
    Could pointing accuracy over time like this possibly be achieved with a well-tuned off the shelf (e.g., something like an IKAN EC1) or custom-built gimbal based with BaseCam controllers? If not, would using precise orientation data from an external attitude heading reference system (AHRS, page 24 in SimpleBGC manual ) potentially improve performance to desired accuracy?

Thanks for any guidance.