EN CN
Mavlink gimbal angle data
  • Hi Alex,

I am wondering if you can help me (Also than you so much for the profile selection buttons in the beta, they are great).

I have 2 issues.

1. We need for our project to get the gimbal angles in the mavlink message on the ground station for processing. One of our gimbals is very special, that is pointing down and moving left right and front and back. The problem with this is that Ardupilot cannot be configured to handle this. So the gimbal is not enabled in Arduplane, just working on its own.
    However for this reason we do no see any messages from the SimpleBGC even though it is working and showing messages from FC, also Raw channels.
    Is it possible somehow to know (from the SimpleBGC) what angle the camera is at somehow?
    Please note that if we actually set gimbal in the Arduple parameters (Storm32 mavlink), then there is control from the FC to the gimbal, only the FC cannot understand how the gimbal is positioned. This is the reason we need to dissable it.

2. Second issue is related. The second gimbal is more normal, has pitch and yaw (2 axis), you have actually seen this on the video. This would be fine with MAvlink setup. However there is no control. Serial is setup fine. AHRS is ok, RC is ok, only crontrol is "no". The only difference between this and the above one, which can work if we set gimbal type in ardupilot parameters is that this one is encoder version. Do you think that it is realated to that somehow? So here even is we set gimbal in FC to storm32 mavlink, which works on the other one. There is still no control. Everything is the same as I said except that this is encoder version so the serial is connected to uart2 (aux3 and RC_Yaw).
  • Hello,

1. "However for this reason we do no see any messages from the SimpleBGC even though it is working and showing messages from FC"
    As I understand, you do not enable control (set MNT_TYPE=0) but connected gimbal by the MavLink protocol and comunication is working ok? I guess, in this case gimbal should be discovered by the ground control station, because gimbal sends heartbeat. As I remember, in my tests I used Mission Planner and it was showing me a gimbal as a second connected device and I could see the attitude of a camera. Though may be different GC software works differently, I have too low information regarding it.

2. "Is it possible somehow to know (from the SimpleBGC) what angle the camera is at somehow?" gimbal reports Euler angles in response of the REQUEST_DATA_STREAM command for the MAV_DATA_STREAM_RAW_CONTROLLER, MAV_DATA_STREAM_EXTRA1, MAV_DATA_STREAM_EXTRA2.
    I found that the Mission Planer requests it on connection. Also it supports MSG_ID_MESSAGE_INTERVAL (but Ardupilot does not support it as I know).

2. I have no glue what is difference. I don't think that it relates to encoder firmware or presense of encoders, but you can try to load regular firmware to check would it be any difference or not.

Regards.