EN CN
360 degrees gimbal with encoders?
  • Hello Guys!
    My name is Arek (based in Poland) and I am new here. In normal life I am a CNC coach who like to create and build new stuff using my CNC machines - it's the main reason why I am here (if anyone from EU would need some machining let me know).

For few months I am seriously considering to build my own 3 axis gimbal using AlexMos32 board and motors with encoders, but... As much as I am considering construction options there is more deep considerations. Please tell me, is it possible to build 360 degrees gimbal using motors with encoders? AlexMos works great with magnetic encoders but it means that the motor axis is closed and I can not pull the cables on it. Does anyone tried the board to work with optical one or magnetic tachometr? If I would like to use the motor without encoder it will not be a problem but after googled DIY constructions I didn't find the answer :(

I hope You will help me and dispel my doubts. If it's not possible, it would also be better to hear the truth!

Kind Regards,
    Arco

• build 360 degrees gimbal you need slip ring on each axis or the axis you need to go 360 . so you need motors with slip rings. with encoder motors this is a problem only a fue motors support encoder and slip ring properly with ring magnet or way to thread the wires. is that what you need ?
  • See the encoder user manual, there is also an encoder with hole.

But do you really need 360 rotation?
  • Hello guys,
    Thank You so much for the answers.

To be honest, probably I don't need it, but If I decide to build my own construction, spend money and time, as I know myself, I would like to build it as best as I can, so it would be a great to know how to solve this problem. Can You give me short list which motors/encoders are best for it? Also, if anyone of You tested, worked with magnetic rings? How it work in comparison to the "full" magnet?

Kind regards,
    Arek

EDIT:
    I have found AMT203 on BGC manual, but it is there any other option?