EN CN
Encoder benefits
  • I noticed on this website that one of the benefits listed for encoders is:

"Provides the information about frame angle and angle of the camera relative to frame, that can be important for some kind of applications."

What kinds of applications will this help with? How will it help?

Also, for those who have used a gimbal with and without encoders, what were the most helpful improvements for you?
  • Encoder:
    - Increased motor torque
    - Save a lot of battery current
    - Precision increase.
    - Electronics "knows" mechanically the actual position of every axis.
    I consider encoders as a must for mid-to-big size camera/gimbals

The only pro i see on using a non-encoder configuration is the simplified mechanics and electronics (specially in smaller gimbals) but this might only matter you if youre a DIYer
  • Anyone noticed improvements of using encoders for gimbals mounted on multirotors?

I successfully made gimbal for GH4 and it works OK, but I still can notice some shakes on yaw axis, it is not perfect. When testing precision of axes, pitch and roll are holding it within 0.01 degrees but error on yaw can exceed 0.5 degrees. (Frame IMU is under YAW and doesn't help improve precision of yaw) I'm wondering if using encoders should help with yaw axis.
  • It much depends how you use the encoders. With encoders you can get much higher torque from smaller motor, but if you just add encoders and do not rice power setting or voltage, they will not provide any more torque.

Encoders provide very smooth return after disturbance, the motors will not skip steps. Also the movement area of the axis can be limited much better with encoders. On follow mode there is no yaw drifting and the gimbal can be controlled related to the frame.

Encoders by them self do not provide better gimbal accuracy, the stabilization is taken care of by IMUs. But when encoders are used correctly you will have more powerful gimbal that returns smoothly after disturbances.

The encoders will not solve mechanical problems. Well working gimbal needs to be solid, have freely moving axis and well balanced. That is just as important with encoders.
  • Thanks for the responses!