-Th3oRy-FX V1 small DSLR Gimbal
  • Hi all, I want to show you my 8 bit Gimbal I did in 2014. I used it for a small sized DSLR.
    So this wont be a full build log. I only want to show you the results and some interesting steps.
    Most parts where bought on Ebay. So this will be a low cost build. (about 250€)

First I started by making a 3D model in Google Sketchup:
    test
    Then I printed it on masking paper to use it as a template.
    test
    I cutted the templates out of 1mm aluminium and used some 20mm tubes.
    The clamps are out of POM. I bought them on Ebay.
    test
    This is the first time I put together all the parts.
    test
    Here you can see the camera mounting plate with installed sensor.
    test
    The 8 bit board with 3rd axis extension found a place in a polastic box I had laying around.
    I added some acrylic window to give it a nice look.

Last but not least some final pics with installed Camera. As you can see I changed some parts of the frame to aluminium.
    I glued the acrylic tubes together but this wasn´t strong enough, so I changed the side parts of the roll cage later.
    test
    test
    test
    test
    test
    test
    test
    test
    For positioning I use a small 5" car monitor which works up to 24V.
    For starting the recordingon my Canon camera I bought this Aputure controller with an IR LED on a flexible wire.
    Later I cut of the flexible wire and used a normal wire insted. I sleeved all cables to give it a nice look.
    test
    On the right grip is a two way joystick module with a button.
    With it I can controll PITCH and YAW. The button is programmed to switch between different modes or toggle on/off the motors.

This was my first build. At the moment I´m experementing with a cnc build 32bit system and a bluetooth remote.
    You can find these and other projects on my website: http://www.th3ory.de
    Some Videos I´ve done with this gimbal can be found here: http://www.th3ory.de/?page_id=36