EN CN
2.56b2, yaw follow doesn't work as before
  • I upgraded my DIY 3 axis gopro gimbal. I noticed that it gives better stability on all axes than what I got in 2.50b2. But yaw cannot hold its position as before. If I rotate gimbal quickly it cannot follow yaw, it skips position.
    Any idea?
  • I have the same problem going from firmware 2.43 to 2.55 b9
    even if I increased the P p i PId it does not change
    The gimbal is perfectly balanced on the three axes.
  • Is this problem in follow mode? if so ensure follow settings.
  • Yes, problem is only present in follow mode. No matter what settings I use I cannot have stable yaw as before.
    Even with proven settings from 2.50b2 doesn't work good.

I must say that I noticed improvements of stability in latest version. My gimbal doesn't vibrate in critical positions anymore. But follow yaw looks more sensitive to fast movements.
  • I do not know, but could be that some scaling has changed, so same values may not mean the same settings.

Over all I rarely use follow mode on handheld gimbal, joystick provides better result.
  • I tried to change some values of P, PID, speed.. the result does not change.
    The yaw easily lost the phase if velocity increases significantly.
    This did not happen with the firmware 2:43 b9
  • Not PID but follow settings. You should not try to fix follow problems with PID settings. First tune PID without Follow activated and then follow settings, RC settings...
  • Yep, RC gives much better results but I use it on multirotor, and I don't have slip ring on yaw......
    That is why I have to use follow yaw.
    Tried every combination of follow yaw settings, even tried to drastically change values. Couldn't solve my problem.
  • Hello Garug,
    I worked only on the follow, but I solved the problem with the firmware 2.50b3.
    I loaded only old profiles and changed the filters to avoid redundancy.
    Everything is ok
  • I like 2.56b9 because it gives better stability on pitch and roll, gimbal is stable in any position.

Half of year passed since I reported this bug so I thought this is solved in some beta versions. I upgraded to the latest beta firmware 2.59b3 but same problem is present.

As I use these gimbals on mulirotors it is very frustrating, I have to land and manually turn yaw to neutral position.

@alexmos
    Any idea what was changed from 2.50b2 that results yaw so sensitive to faster movement?
  • Hello, ReNNo,

It's hard to remember what wa changed since 2.50 that causes this particular problem. I suppose that is's pretty rare problem so it's still not found and mentioned by most testers. Can you describe more detailed the conditions where it appears?
    "The yaw easily lost the phase if velocity increases significantly" - what speed you are saying about? Does YAW holds firmly at zero speed? Can you show a video?

I beleive that I can provide a solution or quick fix it, if it's a firmware bug, but need clear understand a reason.

Regards, Aleksey Moskalenko
  • Yaw holds great when there are no fast movements. Problem occurs only when I rotate multirotor more quickly. Yaw skip steps and doesn't return to neutral. At this point I have to land any manually move camera to neutral.
    When I was using 2.50b3 I couldn't reproduce this problem in the most aggressive flight, but with 2.56b9 it happens all time. Here is a video showing this problem on the ground:

I know these movements are fast but when you fly you have additional vibrations, g-forces, wind and yaw loose neutral position very easily.
    No matter what settings I use I cannot have yaw as robust as in 2.50b3. Tried higher and lower gains, reducing speed for yaw, disabling "limit acceleration", different power settings .... but without success.

With the same settings on 2.50b3 it is almost impossible to skip steps on yaw....
    I tried this with 3 different GoPro gimbals and the same problems occurs on 2.56b9.

• Hello, ReNNo.
    I understand a problem, thank you. If I will find a reason, I will fix it in next 2.59 that will be released soon. It's a chance that in 2.59 its already fixed, try it (enable "check for beta versions" during update).
  • I tried 2.59b3. Problem is still present.
    Thanks, I'll check for new beta versions and report if it fixes this problem.
  • I thought that is actually a nice new feature :) I think useful on handheld gimbals for changing the operating position, but maybe not so nice on multicopters.

• Yep, I use the latest firmware on all my handheld gimbals. I never do these fast yaw movements on the ground. Even if it skips I can always manually turn camera to neutral position.
    But this problem prevents me upgrading all of my multirotor gimbals to the latest firmware.