EN CN
Gimbal not moving at all only oscillates/vibrate around current position
  • Hello,

Im new to the gimbal world. Since a couple of days Im trying to setup a 3 axis gimbal for DSLR with a 32bit controller v3.0 and software 2.50b2

the gimbal is well balanced, the camera (5D3 with 24-70 f2.8), stays right where I put it.

Im trying to setup power and PID for PITCH in the first place (all other motors are set to zero). Follow is disabled and joystick as well.
    Regardless which values I choose, the gimbal/camera isnt moving to the centered position. It only starts oscillating around the current position. When putting it to the centered position with force, it will mostly get stable.
    If I set the power to maximum, the vibration is getting so worse, that I fear for my camera.

Seldom there are some occasions of I2C errors and motor missings steps shows up in the GUI, but as far as I can see it, they are not connected, because it oscillates even with zero errors.

Looking into the monitoring, the values from the gyros look indeed very good.
  • Hello,
    Please, take a video about tuning process and place a link here.
  • Hi,

the 5D3 is my only video capable camera around here.

I have currently played with Gyro-Deadband values and set it to 10. This eleminates a lot of vibration, but not completely. Especially YAW has lots of problems, mostly when panning with the joystick.

• To start with keep the Gyro-Deadband 0 and tune the gimbal according the users manual. It is important that mechanical installation is good and well balanced and basic setup performed well. If they are the auto tune should work pretty well. See also filtering if some vibrations remains.

Gyro-deadpand is more for filtering IMU noise, not gimbal vibrations. If a well tuned gimbal is noisy (not vibrating but noisy) then Gyro-deadpand can help, but keep it low, 10 is quite high.

In some cases, very big gimbals, Gyro-deadpand could help otherwise too, but to start with keep it low. Tune the gimbal using other means first.

By your description it is not possible to say what the problem is, but it sounds like some problem with basic setup. It is important to follow the users manual very detail for the first tuning. Any shortcuts will lead just frustration, there is no shortcuts. First thing would be to make sure there is no I2C errors.
  • the gimbal is really heavvy with around 2kg of camera weight and the same for the gimbal itself.
    the construction is really stiff, but maybe not enough but there is nothing left to improve (the gimbal is made to hold cameras up to 3kg)

Is it a good strategy to start with really high motor power values (200-220) and very low P (10-20) and a high D ?

seems to be, that the joystick is only using the motor power, and the YAW needs a loot for fast panning.
  • It is good to start with high power, just make sure motors will not overheat. PID tuning, you need to see the users manual. 'I' is important too and high D is no goal.