EN CN
Upside down problem / Request: Initial Position should save into profile.. initial position off
  • I would love to use the upside down option for my gimbal.
    After turning upside down and a restart of the gimbal in another profile everything should be fine, but the initial position can´t be saved within the different profiles. It is saved as a global setting..

in upside up mode the gimbal initialises perfect. range is from -25 to 90 degrees. initial position is set to 0.

When I turn it around and restart the tilt is freaking out..
    two things happen:
    1. the initial reading of the pitch is sometimes 180, sometimes -180, depending of its angle while turning power on
    2. the pitch is trying to go to a position, that it cant reach in upside down position..

I need to steer against with rc input until it gets into the "legal" range. But this only works, when pitch was initialised correct..
    very frustrating

It would help a lot if the initial position could be switched off at all...

I´m using 2.50b2 on the 32bit v3 board..
  • hello,
    I am using my gimbal using down all I did was turn upside down and rotate the roll 180 degrees so camera right side up. I did not do any thing special I am only using one IMU 32 bit .
  • I am not following what yo are saying. Did you use auto upside down feature or button to set it upside down?

When setting the gimbal upside down, it should be upside down, i.e yaw motor below the gimbal.

Newest beta provides also some other options.
  • Hi! Thank you for replying..

@aopen3434: Unfortunatly I cant turn my roll axis 180degrees.. The construction was build for my multirotor and it can only roll 45degrees to each side...

@Garug: Yes, I turned on the auto upside down detection

When I turn the hole rig upside down, the Yaw motor is below the gimbal and the camera hangs upside down as well. (like with a steadycam, when you don´t want to spoil time and just turn the hole thing, to get a low mode position. Image will be flipped in post production.. )

The IMUs now hang upside down as well..
    In normal mode my Initial position is 0 degrees, in upside down it is 180 degrees
    (sometimes -180 degrees, depending on the camera pitch on powering up.. but this is another problem)

In normal mode my pitch range goes from -25 to 90 degrees. Now I need it to go from 155 to 270 degrees. For this I set up a new profile with RC PITCH MIN 155 and MAX 270.
    To make this start properly I need to set a new INITIAL POS - only for this profile to 180.
    But the INIT POS. is a global parameter, that does not get stored with one of the five profiles.
    So when I set it to 180 and go later back to normal mode, i have got the same problem there..

##My request is: ##########
    Can the developers please make Initial Position become a profile parameter?

AND: It would also be nice to see at first glance wich of the parameters get stored with the profile and wich are global.. OR a documentation in the manual would be very helpful.
    ########################

I´m very happy to get a feedback of you guys. Maby I missunderstand the concept of upside down or the five profiles. I am very happy to take your advice. Thanks for reading..
  • Normally in upside-down the camera is on normal position, but as your roll does not move around, I see it is a problem.

I am not sure, but maybe you could make a profile where the gimbal is configured to work on "your upside-down" i.e. IMU configured to that position and motor inverted configured for that position. It should work configuring the gimbal like this, but I am not sure how it works using several different profiles with different IMU and Inverted configurations.

Ps. I much agree with this: "AND: It would also be nice to see at first glance wich of the parameters get stored with the profile and wich are global.. OR a documentation in the manual would be very helpful. "

• Thank you Garug..
    Yes !

"... make a profile where the gimbal is configured to work on "your upside-down" i.e. IMU configured to that position and motor inverted configured for that position..."

I changed the RC directions on the new profile and that is the part that works good..

I did not dare to change the orientation of the IMU. I´m afrait I will loose 6ways temp calibration settings.. otherwise it would be a nice try. What do you think?

Does anybody know: Is IMU orientation a global setting, or is it a profile setting?
  • Thank you Garug..
    Yes !

"... make a profile where the gimbal is configured to work on "your upside-down" i.e. IMU configured to that position and motor inverted configured for that position..."

I changed the RC directions on the new profile and that is the part that works good..

I did not dare to change the orientation of the IMU. I´m afrait I will loose 6ways temp calibration settings.. otherwise it would be a nice try. What do you think?

Does anybody know: Is IMU orientation a global setting, or is it a profile setting?
  • I think there is now a possibility to save the IMU calibration. Also save EEPROM and profiles. Even after that done something could always go wrong, but should be quite unlikely.
  • oh! yeah.. I never saw that! backup eeprom.. a little goodie hidden in the menu..
    :) Thanks!

I cant see a IMU backup option.. (2.50b2)
  • I do not see it either, maybe I remembered wrong. Anyway, I think the calibration data should be stored in EEPROM, so probably it should be stored also with it.

• Hey Garug..Thanks to our conversation I pushed it a little further today.. merci!

I swapped the Cam Imu orientation for testing. And of course it is a global setting. Went good.. no calibration loss.. and I found its a much better way to go.

The gimbal is much more stable when I tilt the hole thing now.. With the Imu starting at 180 degrees I had heavy shakes when I tilted the frame more than 15 degrees.. I guess something goes wrong with the calculation of the different axes here..

########## !!! hello developers ########
    So finally it would help me much more, if I could save the orientation of the IMU in the profiles..
    #######################################
  • "With the Imu starting at 180 degrees I had heavy shakes when I tilted the frame more than 15 degrees.." You should also perform the motor auto to set the inverted status for this setup and tune PID after. I have not tested this setup, but when everything is set up correctly, it should work just as well as the normal position.

Note, if you have frame IMU you should set it also up for this position.

But maybe there could be easier way to make it work, like selection 'upside down including camera'.