EN CN
Pitch goes into follow mode if RC-Input for Pitch is assigned
  • Hello,
    I'm having a 8bit gimbal with Version 2.40 b7 installed and I'm having some problems getting the Pitch input over the RC working correctly.
    Everything is working fine as long as I have "no input" selected for Pitch in the RC Settings tab.
    However as soon as I change it to RC_PITCH-PWM the problem starts.
    Pitch control over the RC is working fine, but the Pitch seems to enter the follow mode. If I tilt the Copter forward the Gimbal tilts the camera forward with a short delay. (Out of curiosity I tried the same with ROLL and there it’s working fine)

I think I'm missing some setting here but after two days of playing around with it I feel it’s time to ask someone with a bit more knowledge.

I made a short video which shows the problem. The first test is with Pitch input set to "no input" the second with set to RC_PITCH-PWM
    http://youtu.be/3zR-qGIsxyo
    Screenshots of my RC Settings and Follow Mode can be found below
    http://www.poisonbytes.de/pic/29814.jpg
    http://www.poisonbytes.de/pic/29813.jpg

Best Regards
    Klaus
  • My guess is it has something to do with your FC_PITC settings to PITCH min and max limits being too narrow.

You have also I2C errors, you should get rid of those.
  • What exaclty do you mean by FC_PITC min and may limits?
    The MIN.ANGLE / MAX.Angle in the RC Settings Tab? Ich played around without any real solution. In fact if I change the values to 180 / -180 the problem get much worse.

About the I2C errors, I'm not seeing them all the time, whats a typical cause for them?
  • I2C wires too close other wires etc. can cause errors. Run I2C wires clearly separate of other wires. if that does not help use ferrite rings.

Change min and max to -180 , 180 and test

You have assigned FC_PITCH, is it otherwise configured, do you use it, if not it could cause problems. Better not to assign it if not used. (and the same for FC_ROLL.)

What does the PITCH indicator show on real time data?
  • Thanks, I will look into the wireing. However I2C errors are not frequent and should not be the cause for my problem.

As you sugessted I changed the setting to -180 , 180 -> Same Problem, only the radio comand is now reversed.

Setting FC_PITCH and FC_ROLL to no input changed nothing.

I made a short Video of the real time data:
    http://youtu.be/Ee4jEv2LunE
  • For some reason tilting the multicopter is affecting RC_Pitch. it should not affect it.

Try connecting the Pitch PWM control to different physical port and assign accordingly.

Is the ACC well calibrated? it needs to be done only once, but well. Normally no need to have it assigned to button.

verify basic settings. is the Pitch motor inverted status set by the Auto function? do not try to set it manually, it has to be set by Auto and poles corrected afterwards manually.

If nothing else helps, save your profiles, erase EEPROM, reload the FW and set up again. It should not work like that.

Edit: I still looked the settings at video. Perform RC Auto on Advanced after you activate RC_PITCH.
    You have gyro calibration skipped at startup, perform it before you start the test.
    Reperform follow offset auto.
  • Thanks a lot for your Help.
    While the root cause was totally different and has nothing todo with the Gimbal itself, your questions and remarks got me on the right track.
    The guy I got this set from connected the Pith to the NAZA unit to pass through his ppm signal from the reciever. Somehow the NAZA unit was not simply passing Throug the Signal but was adding its own leveling as well.
    Connecting the Pitch input directly to the reciever solved the problem.
  • ScorpionTDL, can you maybe be a bit more specific as to how you solved this problem as I am experiencing exactly the same issues and not quite sure what you mean by connect the pitch input directly to the receiver.

I will try and explain my symptoms and apologise in advance for any incorrect terminology (just getting started at this).

I have an identical gimbal and version as yourself which I have installed on my Phantom FC40 (to hold an SJ4000).

Without pitch control enabled the gimbal is extremely stable and does not drift. However, when I connect the pitch control pin to my Nazam F2 port and enable it I get exactly the same behavior when tilting (when stationary the pitch control behaves as expected).

In angle mode I get a slight drift in the opposite direction to the tilt and in speed mode the gimbal will slowly drift to the hard stops when tilted.

I have tried all of the advice as above, and like you noticed the problem gets worse when widening out the min and max angles.

Real time data feed shows that as soon as i connect the pitch control wire to the board, I get an offset on the accelerometer reading on the y axis. This then corrects as soon as it is disconnected again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated