EN CN
In need of assistance: YAW + ROLL + Frame IMU = won`t cooperate :(
  • Hi and hello!
    I finaly decided to change my old 8 bit version to a 32bit, and of course got some problems :/
    Board: http://shop.sky-video.pl/pl/p/Sky-Glide-3-axis-32-bit-GIMBAL-CONTROLLER-ALEX-MOS-case-/303

I've digged up most of the treads on the web in search of an solution (took some time)... with no results.

Symptoms:
    Frame IMU is going crazy - motors also (no chance for balance or PID tune, each axis is perfectly tuned on its own). Pitch is ok, hold still... Roll and Yaw are dancing around :/

What did i tried to do:
    - moving the Frame IMU farther from the roll motor (thought it would be a magnetic interference);
    - placed a ferrite ring on the IMU cable;
    - done the 6 axis calibration multiple times;
    - checked all motors;
    - balanced the gimbal + tighten all screws;
    - tried to change/mix outputs;
    - disconnected single motors via GUI;
    - soft flashed to newest version;
    Finally i've disconnected the frame IMU by the GUI - that kinda helped (follow mode isn't working at all for any axis (no matter what ill set in GUI), i've got oscillations on roll and yaw during bigger angles - same as 8 bit boards :/ ).
    YAW + PITCH and ROLL + PITCH outputs works with both IMUs, it looks like the problem lies between YAW + ROLL output. I`ve lost hope to get it fixed on my own -.-

Could it be a broken board or IMU? :/ Its going crazy only when yaw and roll are turned on in the same time (in GUI i can see it go nutts - even with all motors off - outputs on).

Thx for help and any usefull ideas that can make this horror go away (sending it back isnt one of them, ive thought about it already :) ).

Cheers, Peter
  • Are you sure basic setup is correctly performed? if you set on GUI the motors off and move the camera manually, is it logical with the indicators? What does the real time tab show for IMU? Does it appear to work ok? if it does and you have no I2C errors, then the problem is not IMU.

It is better not to use follow mode when tuning. activate it after everything else is working.

Also if you have joystick disconnect it and when the basic tuning is ok connect it back.

Some times there might be something strange on the memory. save your profiles and erase EEPROM. I suggest after this not loading the old profiles, but doing the basic setup carefully according the users manual. IMU directions, IMU calibrations, Setting Power, Motor configuration Auto, Correcting pole numbers manually, AUTO PID tuning with good stability, Fine tuning as needed, Activating second IMU and redoing AUTO PID tuning, Filtering if needed, ...
  • Thx for the reply Garug!
    Ive runed the basic setup once more, didn't help... no jozstick, no followmode :/
    Video of the problem:
    http://youtu.be/5UHfABc2wq8

PIDs dont matter (same effect on 10/0,01/10 an higher PID) :( Im out of ideas...
  • I do not understand what you are doing on the video. do the basic setup according the Users manual and never again touch the motor configuration.

take the gimbal in hand and do the auto tuning one axis at time, make sure the gimbal works when moved, that the errors stay minimal and no vibration. If it vibrates, redo the auto tuning for the vibrating axis on that position.

Do not disturb the camera by hand (other than testing it returns ok, but that is all that is testing)

If there is something strange, save your settings and erase EEPROM. After disconnect power and GUI and start again setting up the gimbal from the basic setup (it need to be followed carefully and everything performed in the order it mentions.)

It is important to disconnect all power after flashing FW, or erase EEPROM and start the controller fresh.
  • What im doing on the video:
    0:00 - 0:20 / Roll + Pitch + Yaw Off = works
    0:24 - 0:45 / Roll Off + Pitch + Yaw = works
    0:50 - ... / Roll + Pitch + Yaw = Roll and Yaw goes crazy (same effect with low and high power to the motors and PID settings)

Each axis alone is working ok, problem shows up after turning Roll and Yaw at the same time.

Ive made basic setup cuple of times, allways the same problem shows up - funny thing is that the 8bit works perfect :/
  • Have you done the erase EEPROM? Do not touch the motor activation after they have been set correct, changing them like that will potentially cause problems. Should not, but I am pretty sure that kind of continuous configuration changes is not tested that well, there could be bugs. It is important to follow the basic setup from the start to end without deviations. It is the best way to avoid problems.
  • ehhh... ive done that to show where the problem is... :) Yes, I erased EEPROM. Autotuning has no sense when roll/yaw is going crazy and affects each other (allways ends in lambada).
    Where is the proper place for the second frame IMU? 3cm over the roll axis is ok?
    Once more - I turn off the second IMU ind it works, I turn it on and roll sam as yaw go crazy (only in case of motors turned on and working)
  • That suggest that your second IMU axis are not configured correctly, the IMU location is not configured correctly or it is not calibrated properly, or for some other reason is not working properly.

What do yo mean 3 cm above roll axis. above roll motor would be ok if configured below yaw. (i.e. it should be in between yaw and roll motor if configured below yaw (recommended, by me.)

Probably if only two motors are used, the frame IMU is not used, but this is guessing.

Where is the frame IMU, if on the board it will not work when the board is installed like that. the frame IMU needs to be in the direction of the gimbal axis.