EN CN
Going from 8b to 32b
  • Can I use the camera sensor from the 8bit AlexMos set with new 32bit board?? The plug seems to be the same. I bought the 8bit from MultiWii and tge 42bit from RC timer.
  • Maybe, but better get new sensors that are meant for the 32bit board, especially if you use also frame sensor. The sensors are not that expensive.
  • It is just that it took me a many trials and errors to find the right position of the sensor to eliminate the cross axis interaction. It is now slightly at an angle but it works perfect. That is why I would prefer to keep it there.
  • You need to calibrate the sensor anyway. Positioning might be a bit pain, but now when you know what needs to be done, not so much, maybe. I recommend getting the second sensor also and put it below yaw.
  • The gimbal is on flying platform- hexacopter. It is actually working quite well with yaw in Follow mode with 8bit even without the external 2k♤pot connected to the yaw motor, so I am a bit hesitant to go through the rewiring and putting the 32bit in. Yes I would definitelly put the second sensor there under Yaw motor. There is actually ideal small flat spot on the gimbal where it could go with the ports facing back. Can I expect a major improvement in stabilization performance with 32b installed?? I only control tilt externally with RC and do have the FC connections in place which seems to be helping holding the horizon level.
  • In my opinion well tuned one IMU configuration with estimate angles from motors works just as fine and accurately than 2 IMUs.

But with 2 IMUs you get better recovery from disturbances and maybe better Horizon, I am not sure of that, but that is my feeling. Good Horizon levelling can be archived with 1 IMU too, but maybe two IMUs is more reliable.

If you use two IMUSs, it is better get IMUs that are meant to work with the board in 2 IMU configuration. Otherwise you many get problems activating the second IMU and i2c errors etc.

The yaw potentiometer is a bit same too. Follow yaw can work ok without it, but with the Yaw potentiometer it never drifts related to airframe. Useful if the yaw needs to stay within certain limits related to the airframe, like in between the landing gears.

Ps. if you are happy with 8bit, why change to 32bit. With 32 bit you will get different tuning, think with possibility to get better result and there is many useful additions related to RC control, but if you do not need them...
  • Thanks Garug for your advice. If I go ahead with the 32b instalation I will use the new sensors. It seems to be no brainer to go with the old one with the new 32b board even though they might be identical inernally when it comes to the components. Who knows :-) I guess it is simply not worth the risk to combine the old with the new. Are there any other significant improvements in performance and especially yaw follow smoothess I can expect from 32 bit system ?
  • It has been really long since I have used 8 bit board, but do not remember having problems with the yaw follow smoothness. The adjustments for yaw follow are the same. Have you experimented with follow expo.

With IMUs the thing is that there are many slightly different and they do not all work well together on 2 IMU setups, so it is better to get ones that are specially meant for the board. Just remember to set the IMU addresses and activate the frame IMU on advanced tab.
  • So if you should give me a couple of good ressons to go from good working 8b system to 32bit, what they would be???
  • Btw I do use about 70%of Expo in Follow mode and speed about 25. It works well for me.
  • There is no reason really if you are happy to the 8 bit performance.

32 bit will be more accurate and faster when well tuned, but you do not necessary notice it on result.

It has filtering if you need that

It has auto tuning, that can help getting better results

It supports 2 IMUs. that is really useful on handheld gimbals, recovery from disturbance is fast in any position. Not so much needed on aerial applications, but can be useful also there.

It supports SBUS

It has much advanced RC control possibilities

It has all 3 axis integrated on the same board

For anyone buying a new controller I would recommend 32 bit. For anyone having already well working 8 bit system, 32 bit can improve the results, but it will require some work to get it tuned well. Depending of your gimbal construction Auto tuning may work quite well. and if you are lucky no filtering needed, but all that will require careful reading the users manual and some learning curve is involved.

The new and really useful feature on 32 bit boards is IMU temperature calibration. 2.44b3 (beta)
  • Thanks again. That is very useful info. Which auto tuning option would you recommend for a flying platform (Hexa) mainly for shooting video to get good horizon holding and nice fluid motion?
  • I always recommend using the Auto-tuning with good stability setting and if that works move the slider towards accuracy. It is much gimbal dependant how the auto-tuning works. It is good also to experiment different power settings. Highest possible power is not always necessarily the best option. But always monitor that motors do not overheat (i.e. do not get too hot to touch for 10 seconds)

For horizon holding it is important to do IMU calibrations and positioning carefully.

I am somewhat confused about the follow offset calibration, when and how it effects horizon, and also because at different runs (after power down/up) I get different results with the Auto. However I recommend performing it also carefully.
  • I might give it a try when I have a few quiet days...
    Thanks again for sharing you knowledge and for valuable advice.
  • Not sure about the follow offset calibration but I use small amount of offset ( about 15) with 8bit to get the gimbal facing straight forward upon initialization. That means that the camera lens is perfectly aligned with the forward axis of the drone and always returns to the perfectly neutral position after yaw stick imput to the drone. It quarantees as well that the camera deflects equally into both sides when the hexa yaws and that it always returns to the perfectly neutral position in follow mode and thus pointing directly forward, same as the drone forward axis. That is the offset good for.
  • Yes, and it is useful to do the Follow offset AUTO to get Pitch and Roll corrected.
  • I guess it is a bit different on a flying platform where I do not want follow mode on pitch and roll axis. I just want the roll and pitch stabilization to work as accuratelly and as fast as possible to hold the horizon perfectly level, no matter how much the hexa tilts sideways and backwards and forward during flight.
  • No, it is still important to do though follow roll or pitch would not be used. This could be different on different FW though and also related if estimate angles from motors are used. But in any case, there should not be harm of doing it, and if there is a problem, it is easy to set them back to 0.

Just remember levelling the outer frame before doing the Follow offset AUTO. The camera does not need to be levelled for this.
  • I am putting the 32bit board in right now.All seems to be already working but I do not have any reading in Monitoring window for RC pitch, neither I have any reading from FC. I used to have just signal wire running to the RX and to the FC roll and FC pitch on 8bit board and all was working.. Do I need to run the ground and power wires to the 32bit board from Rx as well as FC ??
  • One ground and +5V will be enough. You probably need to solder a jumper on board to get the +5V or you should get it from a dedicated +5V pin on your board. Depends of your board.

Note: do not connect +5V if the other unit is already powered. On that case only signal and ground are needed.

Have you configured the RC channels on GUI?
  • I worked it out, well in part. I made the tilt function working from my Tx by adding the GND wire between Rx and the board.. But the FC Roll and FC pitch signal is not seen in GUI even with GND and signal wires connected to the Naza FC F1 and F2 ports.I have the entire system powered from one main battery, so all components have a common GND and +5V.
  • The pitch motor is buzzing upon tilting down over 45deg. I performed the Auto calibration with the slider all the way to the left for stability. Any way to stop it??
  • Ensure that it is not the RC limits, but likely it is vibrations. PID tuning, Adaptive filtering, filtering, second IMU help on that.
  • Note, BaseCam board has its own +5V, so do not connect the + 5V to it.

Have you configured the FC correctly on Naza and BaseCam (external Advanced/FC gain etc.)
  • I have it configured exactly the same way as I had it on 8bit. Nothing has been changed. I pretty much coppied the settings from 8bit to 33bit. It was all working with signal wire only connected to RC pitch from Rx and FC Roll and FC Pitch from F1 and F2 in Naza. Now I am running signal and GND wire from Rx Aux3 chanel to RC Pitch and it is working fine for controling the pitch from Tx. But when I do the same two wire connection between Naza F1 and F2 I do not get any reading in GUI for FC roll and Pitch. I only see there the input from Tx for pitch control. In GUI RC tab I selected Normal PWM and then bellow FC Roll to FC Roll and FC Pitch to FC Pitch. No mixing. In Naza I have gimbal switched On. I have limits -1000 0 +1000 and gain 50% and frequency 200Hz ?? Anything else I should look at???
  • I have not been using the FC for long time. The 'frequency 200Hz' sounds high, did that work with 8 bit? Try 50 Hz.

I do not know how much FC functionality would be useful with 32bit if two IMUs are used. I do not even know if it is in use on that case...
  • Reply from BaseCam team "FC_ROLL, FC_PITCH are regular PWM inputs like any other, and beeing mapped to any function, at least should be displayed in the monitoring tab after PWM decoding. 200 Hz is normal frequency." mentioning also that FC functionality has not been tested that much lately...
  • Should I leave the Gyro Calibration on start up On or Off?? I did the initial calibration of both IMUs with RC Logger electronic pitch gauge in place of the camera mounting plate to make sure the camera will be perfectly level in both X an Y axis on initialization. The hexa was placed on perfectly level ground so the second IMU was level as well.. What I do not understand is the function of the calibration assistance small window with two bars. One has zero in the middle and plus and minus on extreme ends and other is color from green to red. What do they indicate ??
  • Ok. I probably leave it out and concede this is as not working on my board. I tried everything and nothing seems to be making it work. As you said, with two IMUs on gimbal it might not be important.
    Is there any way except the potentiometer mod to improve the yaw motor to hold the neutral position??. What I mean is that it seems to be unable to return to its centre position once disturbed by outside forces. I think the 8bit was more lenient and able to come back from bigger off centre disturbance margin.
  • Moving a step further I have now problem with Pitch motor buzzing at about 45deg. I performed the Auto tuning with camera at level position but than when tilted down 90deg it was buzzing strongly. I could not get rid of it until I lowered the PID significantly down to about 40 0.06 30. Than I perforned another Auto tuning with camera at 45deg but the buzzing is still there no matter how low I go with PID. I guess it is time to look at tge filters options. Any guidance would be appreciated. Frequency????? How do I go about this??
  • Well done instruction video. Thanks!! I am slowly getting there. First few flights have been promissing. More testing and fine tuning ahead....