EN CN
CAME 7800 - Unit constantly beeping (lots of other problems)
  • Hello All,

Apologies, but it was hard to pick a topic heading for thi as it;s been a journey.

I got my CAME 7800 yesterday, spent around 90 minutes balancing it, then turned it on - apart from a slight roll to the left, it worked good.

I connected the software (mac) and did an upgrade to latest firmware. Then the problems started. It was going in all directions, settling at a 90 degree pitch up (camera looking up instead of forward). Then if I picked it up or tried to use it, sometimes it would just shake and move in very small increments or spin right round.

Here is how it was: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4dEXrbNPEi-M2huSFpGZ2Z6ejQ&authuser=0

So I then thought I should reset the profiles to factory default from the GUI, of course forgetting this is not the CAME 7800 defaults - so then i became pretty lifeless after that.

So, I got a hold of the CAME 7800 profiles, but when I tried to write them it would not write - I just got the following error, as well as beeping on/off constantly and un responsive software after I try:

http://s15.postimg.org/dnawpqb8r/IMG_8155.jpg

However, to rule the profiles out, I downloaded a CAME 7000 profile from Tom Antos site, and it loaded this onto the unit (although it spun around like mad when i turned it on). But, it did load it.

So, with some advice, I then tried downgrading the firmware to 2.42b7 - but now, it just gives me constant beep and doesn't respond at all (as per the video below) - and I can;t do anything with it. It bees even if i disconnect the software - only way out of it is to take cable out and power off unit

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4dEXrbNPEi-RXVTSHZBQS1WUWs/view?usp=sharing

So, I am at a bit of a loss just now to be honest. It doesn't respond to anything - just beeps with red LED. If I turn the unit on, untethered, it is lifeless. no friction or anything in the motors.

I greatly appreciate any help, I am brand new to this.

Neil
  • Hey Neil,
    You must be feeling very frustrated, I know exactly what you are going through. Okay, it looks like you have poured oil into an already burning flame. From the first part of your post/video, it looks like an unbalanced gimbal and PID settings. I think when you loaded that old profile from Tom Antos, and downgraded the filmware, it caused your gimbal to malfunction. Don't worry, most of these things are not permanent, and is usually a few clicks away from fixing.

So the Came 7800 comes with FW 2.42b7 - you said that you downgraded to this, so I'm assuming that you had already upgraded the FW? I'd like you to try going back to FW 2.42b7, and load back the default profiles from came. I saved those default profiles, you can get them here: http://www.filedropper.com/profiles_2

I'm not sure if you can even connect your gimbal at this point though, it sounds like it freaks out the moment you click connect... I'm not quite sure what you can do to reset if you can't even connect. But if you do get to do the above, make sure you balanced your gimbal perfectly. This is actually the hardest part. You most likely had an imbalanced setup. You have to make sure your camera doesn't swing around, and it stays in any angle that you place it in. Also, you have to make sure that the yaw (top part attaching to the gimbal) is balanced so that it isn't too forward or back heavy. When you lift the gimbal from 1 side, your gimbal should stay put, and not swing to the left or right. I recommend that you watch these videos to balance it perfectly (Part 1, 2, 3):

Hope you figure it out
  • First see what is causing the alarm. Quite possibly battery voltage alarm.

then before doing anything else, read the users manual. that will save you a lot of time and frustration.

Then perform physical step and basic setup and so on to get the gimbal functional.

Ps. I really wonder why they are not using the upper support on the above balancing video. It is just bad example. Sure it might be a bit easier to move the camera, but using the upper support and supporting the camera to that will give much better result.
  • Hi All,

Thank you very much for taking the time to get back to me.

Yes, did upgrade the firmware to the latest (the GUI chose the latest for me) - I did this after it was balanced. It was after this update that things went a bit wrong.....

The current firmware (to the best of my knowledge since the GUI won't connect) is 2.42b7 (I'm not quite sure what it shipped with originally before I updated).

I don't think it is a voltage problem, since it gives same reaction with or without battery connected.

I am using USB 2.0 on iMac. I have tried 3 different cables, just incase it was a cable issue.

Whenever I try and connect, it just beeps constantly, like below - although, it did allow me to flash the board in this state previously (this was how I was able to downgrade) - even through all the beeping. Although this doesn't always work; I havent tried to upgrade it form this state.

See below a video of what happens when I try to connect:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4dEXrbNPEi-S1JacGtpeWJNZXM/view?usp=sharing

And below a video of it balanced:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4dEXrbNPEi-ZEs2YURsOUxiblk&authuser=0

Thanks again for any help.
    Neil

• Balance looks good. You need to find out why it is alarming or just ignore it and start performing the basic setup. The gimbal will not have any meaningful function before the basic setup and tuning is performed.
  • Thanks Garug, problem is - I can't actually write to the board, so I dont really know how to perform basic setup.... I have all the profiles etc that it shipped with, but cant write them to the device... as per messages above.
  • Maybe you should make sure what board you have, I assume 8 bit, see the instructions and do recovery flash. make sure you are using correct GUI, see the 8 bit downloads if your board is 8 bit.
  • I have 32 bit.... I managed to flash it down to 2.42 b7 - but it reacts much the same :(
  • I have a little progress. I have been able to do the upgrade through the GUI - so I am now at the latest version. 2.43b9 - and can connect to the board and see the indicators move when i move the gimbal.

However, I still can not read/write to the board:

http://s8.postimg.org/ddcml9axh/Screen_Shot_2015_01_18_at_23_23_51.png

Any help is appreciated,
    Neil
  • OK - I have progress! I don't really know what made the difference here. But here are some of the things I tried and some of the things that happened.

I opened up the CAME 7800 profiles on another GUI, and manually entered in the values (because If I made a manual change, the GUI was allowing it to write) - however, this still was driving the unit crazy (lots of 90 deg spins, quite violently etc).

Then, I loaded the 3rd profile first (hadn't tried this - and why would I) - and it was able to write it, so then I did the 2nd one, then the 1st - and they all loaded - I have no idea why (and too scared to question why) but.... they loaded - and I almost have a functioning gimbal

The latest (which can hopefully be seen from the video) is that when it starts, It has a slight roll to the right (and I remember this when I first turned it on - when it was working). Is this an easy fix?

thanks ALOT for everyones help with this. Sorry I don;t have a definitive answer as to what worked in the end, but I am just glad I have an almost functioning unit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4dEXrbNPEi-Vm1WdlZ5NDZ2dUE/view?usp=sharing
  • You still need to do the basic setup, even if you are loading profiles.

With what FW are those profiles made? It could be that is causing the problems.

Maybe you should ask the seller profiles for the FW you are using. Normally it should be ok to use profiles from older FW, but if they are made with some very old FW...

Or you could take screen shots and enter them manually.

And erasing the EEPROM to start with could be good.

In any case do the Basic setup including IMU calibrations and motor inverted status at least. and Joystick calibration, and Follow offset calibration...They will not be copied necessarily correctly from the profiles.
  • Can anyone please send me a link to the profiles for the 7800 2.43 b6 .... im having this same issue that started this post... but i have no profiles at all to load.. thanks!!! worldfamousfilmsinc@gmail.com
  • i have the original profiles. if anyone needs them, send me your email...
  • btw: constant beeping was in my case a damaged battery
  • my gimbal goes nuts when i turn it on.... do u know how to fix that?