EN CN
Random Drift
  • Dear all,

After trying everything we can come up with we are absolutely clueless about what is going on.

The gimbal is constantly drifting in the YAW and PITCH direction. The problem seems to be very similar to the problem described by Lee
    (http://cheesycam.com/how-to-perform-6-point-calibration-imu-sensor-for-3-axis-gimbal-stabilizer/)

"I’ll play with the camera balance to see if that will help compensate, but it seems more fundamental than that. For example, even sitting perfectly still, no motors on, the yaw error shown in the monitoring tab just climbs steadily all the time, then drops and starts climbing again. Every other sensor is just solid as can be. Makes me wonder if I have a faulty frame IMU."

The strange thing is that we have done this before and the gimbal was nicely tuned and behaved as it should. However, with this new
    32 bit board we experience problems.

The current settings are:

ROLL P12 I0.07 D20 (power 100)
    PITCH P11 I0.05 D16 (power 80)
    YAW P14 I0.05 D30 (power 100)

The battery supplies approx 15.6V and we use a GoPro 2.

We use 2 IMU's, the second one above the YAW, ferrite rings included.

No matter how we change the PID values, power, or what, the gimbal seems to drift dramatically, PITCH drifts 90 degrees forward and YAW continuously rotates in CCW direction. What makes it even more strange is that the IMU's are not drifting (as can be seen in the GUI..)

Any help is appreciated!

-W
  • There is only one way to balance the gimbal, and that is so that it is well balanced.

After you need to do the basic setup correctly, including IMU orientation and calibration.

The drifting likely is due:

Gyro not well calibrated, it needs to be completely still during calibration.

Joystick not well calibrated or not enough dead band. Scroll down the RC tab for these settings.

Follow offset not calibrated.
  • The problem is solved, there were random settings filled in incorrectly in the RC menu?