EN CN
Is it possible to setup gimbal to allow camera to physically zoom
  • I know that the act of zooming in the lens while in flight will act against the physics of the gimbal BUT I was wondering if there was a way to maybe disable the gimbal so it goes limp, then use my mechanical servos zoom feature to zoom the lens of the camera in, then reactivate the gimbal to balance the camera with the new zoom setting..

IS THIS POSSIBLE OR CAN SOME OTHER PROGRAMMING BE DONE TO ALLOW A CAMERA TO ZOOM??

Thanks for all your help!
  • I think you are over thinking it. Using servo to zoom works and no need to disable the gimbal for zooming.

Yes, pitch unbalance will affect performance, but if the motor is strong enough and PID tuned for worst zoom position, there is good change that it will be ok.

Also not all zoom lenses shift that much weight when zooming.

This is with Canon 24-105 f4 IS and it shifts a lot of weight. (+ this is manually zoomed, strong motors help a lot)

If you need to use a lens that really shifts a lot weight, maybe using a counter weight that can be moved with servo.

Ps. with 24-105 the problem is that the lens is not that solid at 105. With Canon 100 f2.8 macro IS the problem is that the IS unit is heavy and very loose inside the lens. A solid lens that does not come unsolid when zooming is good to have. IS is not needed with gimbal, I never use it.