EN CN
Errors, Connections, and Frustrations, Oh My... (avrdude: stk500_getsync():not in sync: resp=0x30)
  • Hey there, BaseCam forums... alright. Let's start from the beginning.

When I give my boards a nice USB connection, lights on both my core board and the yaw extension board illuminate just fine (red and green on the core, green on extension).

When I connect to my PC (Windows 7, 64), my connection within the GUI appears (COM8 in my case). I push "Connect" with it selected, and in the GUI info box below it pops up "GUI vs board version mismatch ... Use GUI version that matches firmware version", and at the top of the GUI, next to Board: it continues to say "connection to COM8..)

I think to myself, Sweet! So far, so good. I pop into the Upgrade tab, find the firmware HEX file that corresponds, hit FLASH... aaaaaand game over man.... game over.

"Failed to upload: Error writing firmware: [1]avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30"

Upon looking online, I kept getting spit to various arduino forums, and all of them deal with the problem within Arduino's GUI.

Yes, I've downloaded the UART Bridge VCP Drivers. Even tried the CDM drivers. Tried loading the HEX through XLoader. Nothing.

Thanks for any assistance you can lend me!
  • Hello, what version of your board? 8bit or 32bit?
  • I believe it is the 8-bit board.
  • Hello, You need to download the last version of GUI: http://www.basecamelectronics.com/files/SimpleBGC_GUI_2_40b7.zip
    Starting from version 2.1, firmware upgrade is possible from GUI.
  • That's where the issue lies. I've tried to upgrade from the GUI, but it continues to give me the error:

"Failed to upload: Error writing firmware: [1]avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30"
  • I have the same issue, anyone worked it out yet?

Thanks
  • I need to find out how to select a port mine won't rec when I plug it in
  • I was having this problem upgrading from 2.4 to 2.43. What finally worked, was opening 2.43, connecting (it will connect unlike previous versions) and going to the firmware upgrade section in the newer software. Upgrading the software from inside 2.40 would only result in the avrdude error.
  • Same issue here. Mine was fine until I tried to upgrade the firmware using AVRDuder. The board is now bricked :(

hence the "Failed to upload: Error writing firmware: [1]avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30". This is often caused by firmware incorrectly setting the fuse bits of the MCU.

I am working on using High Voltage Serial Programming to fix the issue on mine, but it is not easy because the TQFN package of the Atmel MCU has such a small contact area per pin.

It may be easier to just buy a new board *sigh*
  • Some reading such as this may help for anyone with some electronics experience: http://www.instructables.com/id/A-solution-to-avrdude-stk500getsync-not-in-syn/