EN CN
Battery selection (NiMH, LiPo, Li-Ion?)
  • Is there any issue using a 7.2V NiMH battery, or Li-Ion battery with a SimpleBGC controller and GB2208 brushless motors? I'm trying to choose a battery that is smallest, and safest for the consumer/end-user, while providing enough power to last at least 2 hours. I've tested a 3S 1300 mAh battery so far, but I'm a little concerned that a LiPo may not be user-friendly enough for most consumers.

Thanks,
    James
  • No problem as long the voltage is and remains high enough. NiMH has different discharge curve than LiPo, it drops more voltage during use and 7.2V NiMH is starting to be low voltage for a gimbal.
  • Okay, thank you! So it doesn't really matter what I use as long as it will provide enough voltage.
  • Yes, if you are running 2 hours with 3S 1300 mAh the current is 650 mA and any battery having 1300 mAh capacity can provide that.

Typically these gimbals do not need that much current even my bigger gimbals are running below 1.5A, so any battery providing enough voltage and having capacity for 2 hours use will work. Voltage drop during use needs to be taken into account. Voltage drop compensation helps on that.

Typically these boards are minimum 2S i.e. 7.4V. going much below that could cause problems.
  • I haven't tested real world usage for an entire 2 hours yet. I'm getting over 2 hours on my desk during testing, so hopefully 2 hours is do-able with 1300 mAh (or less?). I'm a little weak when it comes to electrical stuff, so I'm trying to learn as I go.

I'm hoping if I can find a simple/inexpensive LiPo/Li-Ion wall charger to include with the product, then I can stick with LiPo or Li-Ion. Something like this would be ideal:

http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdID=LOSB9633

On the other hand, for $20 there's probably better options.
  • Hello, we recomended this universal Charger/Discharger:
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__5548__IMAX_B6_50W_5A_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells_GENUINE_.html
    But original IMAX B6 need DC power supply 11~18V.
  • Thank you for the recommendation.

I was also recently looking at using a camera battery. For example, the Canon NB-10L (and charger). It's a 7.4V Li-ion battery available in 1200 mAh. Would have to design mounting/contacts for it though.