EN CN
2.42 Autotune
  • Has anyone actually tried autotune feature? Does it rocks or does it only provide some initial values and you have to final tune it manually to achieve smooth results?
  • It depends much of the gimbal, but I would say it is more an tool to get initial values. Often the Auto tune values seem to be too high.

I usually do the first tuning for all axis, selecting better stability. Then moving the gimbal to positions where it vibrates and performing new tuning for one axis at the time. Often there is some axis it does not give that good result, them I tune manually.

But I think the Auto tune is a useful tool and guides the PID values to right direction.
  • I agree with Garug. It helps get things going, especially for those that experience problems. What it doesn't do is overcome the very common problem of poor mechanical balancing or poor build quality.
    I have found my system to have improved in some areas, it holds position more positively and there is less vibration when observing the monitoring graphs.
  • Yes, here is a good exactable how important the mechanics are.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2178272&page=2

There was just tiny amount of free play (slop) on the Pitch bearings and Yaw was just bad. The funny thing is that the slop was only on the yaw direction, so it did not affect Roll. Sometimes finding what is causing the problems can be a bit challenging.

After I fixed that, it is totally different gimbal now. I also experimented with filtering with some good results.