EN CN
gimbal problem tilt not working well
  • Got the cheap gimbal off ebay hooked up. It's a basic aluminum frame with I think the BGC 2.0 or 3.0 controller.

Horizontally, it works great. Very smooth video when flying sideways, and motor is very fast and anticipates the craft's movement perfectly. The rubber balls also seem to work great at reducing the jello effect. Now however when flying forward and backward, is not quite good. The motor (I think it's the pitch motor?) seems to be very slow. When I'm hovering, it's fine to stabilize the video. But when I fly forwards or backwards, it doesn't seem to work. It's like it doesn't "catch up" to the speed of the craft tilting forward or backward. In fact, it seems to almost travel in the direction the craft is tilting, and not reverse like it should.

Is this just the nature of gimbals (having never owned one before) or is there something wrong you think? Is there a setting I can change? I will also say the first controller I accidentally fried by hooking it up wrong, and replaced it with a new controller. I did not replace the sensor board, only the control board, maybe that is the culprit, maybe I should replace that too? But before I get another one of those, I want to make sure this is not just how a gimbal works and/or there's no settings to change. And yes, I did make sure craft was motionless and level before hooking up battery.

Here's a video of the problem. Sorry for poor quality.

Thanks team! :)
  • Well I downloaded simpleBGC GUI to see if maybe there was a setting that would fix the original problem, but I messed the settings up royally I think. I ended up "loading defaults" but it seems to have loaded the defaults of the software, not the default settings that shipped with the control board. Now I got the gimbal to work again at least horizontally, but it's not smooth and vibrates, I think the P I D settings are too far off now.
  • Yeah that's possible.

You might try from scratch. Set all PID's and power to 0. You may want to accomplish the 6 axis accel calibration. Re-calibrate the gyros. There are good tutorials on youtube. You will want to do the auto motor detection. You may want to find out the magnet count of your particular motor. sometimes 14 is correct but sometimes they are different. If you research the motor model you will get a number like 12N14P which means 12 stators and 14 magnets or poles.

Then you want to work axis at a time. Start by adding power to about 60. Then put the P value to 20 at first. Then move the D to about 11. If there is heavy vibration and notching going on incrementally by 10 units increase the power till it settles. If there is not enough force to compensate then you may need more power. increase the D until you get no more vibration on the system when it is still. If the vibrations increase with D you may need to increase the P some more and bring down the D value. Then you will need to incrementally add in the I value you may need to adjust the P and D's again.

Each system is different, with my small gimbal using a 4S battery I needed to have the P at around 80 for the pitch and 100 for the Roll. If you are using 3 cell battery you will need to bring those up another 20 to 25% 100 to 125 respectively.

Your current values might be close and may only need some small tweaking.